Saturday, February 7, 2009

Importance of Exercise



Get Started...


How do you feel about regular exercise? Do you go to your local spa or gym to workout? Are you walking, at a brisk pace, almost every day or at least a few times a week? Have you had experiences with exercise that have "turned you off?" Are you afraid that it's too late to start, although you've certainly heard about the health benefits? Do you feel that your body isn't one you'd feel comfortable displaying in front of strangers and so feel reluctant to join a club?

Or, are you like me, one of those who keep a disciplined exercise program, because you not only know it's good for you, but because you really enjoy it?

Taking Fitness for granted

For years, I took my body for granted. I led a very active life and felt that I was getting plenty of exercise in my work, rolling, lifting and folding heavy rugs. I'm not sure when or why I finally decided that it was time to start exercising in a different way and joined my local spa. At that time, I was in my fifties and (I thought) not in bad shape. I was soon to discover I had lots of room for improvement. I've been going every since and loving it! As a matter of fact, when I have to skip class for some reason, it feels like a deprivation.

It took some experimenting with various classes until I found myself comfortable with a program before deciding to work out with a personal trainer. The first person was good, but the second was fantastic and set the muscle tone and definition that I still maintain.

I walk fairly regularly and generally have been working out about four times a week. Now, I'm considering cutting back to three times a week and walking more, so that I can have a little more time at home, since the spa is half an hour's drive from my home .

Making time for exercise

Since I travel to Mexico fairly often, not only for my rug business, but to Rancho Encantado which is a small eco-retreat resort and spa in the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico, I have to make sure I don't completely let go of my regular routine. Walking is one of the things that I do each morning I'm at my home there. Not only does it keep my heart rate up,
but it's a time I gather my flowers, which is one of my great pleasures, so it's a double win situation.

If you already work out regularly, you know what I mean about the enjoyment of keeping yourself fit and healthy. If you don't and have just simply procrastinated (we all do), maybe now is the time to begin.

Paying Attention to your body
It's not only sensible, but important that you start out slowly, gradually building up to a pace that strengthens and provides you with the cardio workout we all need. Always listen to your body - it "knows." Many of us have been so out of touch with our bodies that we just don't pay attention to the various messages we're always receiving. The more you're in touch, the more you'll be responsive, knowing when to challenge yourself and when to take it easy.

Helen, another one of the elders I interviewed for my book, Fifty and Beyond: New Beginnings in Health and Well-Being, still drives herself to the spa almost every day and she's close to celebrating her 94th birthday. How's that for inspiration?
For more information about Helen and the other "elders" interviewed in my book, please check out my website www.fiftyandbeyond.com.

By Susanna Starr, author
Fifty and Beyond: New Beginnings in Health and Well-Being

No comments: